S class did a mock election last fall for President and Mr. Obama won because he had the best hair-do according to her classmates and she has been talking about Obama ever since! It is really exciting because this is the first year she has a fairly good idea of why we elect a President and I am thankful that she is old enough to hopefully remember some of this amazing history. Anyways, a few days before President Obama took office S saw him on TV and said, "isn't he dead?" This got my attention as I took a double glance at the TV and my first thought was surely she doesn't know something I don't and why is she okay with it when she has been speaking so highly of him! I said "no, Barack Obama isn't dead he's going to be our president in a few days." S looked a little confused and said "well, who was the guy shot in the head with a gun." Now I was really alarmed as to why she was talking about people being shot with guns to the head! I said "I don't know who that was but it wasn't Mr. Obama." S said "well, we talked about him in my class at school and read a book about him." Then it hit me "oh, you mean Martin Luther King Jr." S said "Yeah, that's him." So, while this is a historic election maybe it is a little much for a young 5 year old to understand the importance of MLK Jr. and Barack Obama all at the same time! While President Obama and I do not see eye to eye on most things I pray for him and his family for protection and guidance in the days to come and that God will use him in mighty ways! I also pray for my girls to never see the color of another persons skin as a difference and to know we are all created equal in the eyes of our Lord.
Requirements
12 years ago



No comments:
Post a Comment