Saturday, December 20, 2008

Happy Birthday Jesus!

Last night we were all in our car driving to the Taylor family Christmas party when the song "Happy Birthday Jesus" came on the radio. T said "That sounds like K" when he heard the little girl singing on the song. I didn't think much of it other than K would have said 'wuv' instead of 'love'...
Today was one of those days that I wished I had an audio recorder in my car. K and I were driving to the gym when K was asking me questions about Jesus' Birthday Party. T and I try very hard to let the girls take in all the magic of Christmas but remind them frequently about the true meaning of all the celebrations which is Jesus Birthday. S is starting to grasp the idea which is exciting for T and I to see her learning about the real meaning, however we have tended to overlook K and her ability to really "get it"....until today. As she and I left the house this morning she asked me, "Is Jesus coming to our house for the birthday party?" To which I paused to think of how to answer this and said "no, he won't be there." I was afraid if I answered "yes" she would think a real person would be at our house for the party. Then she asked in a little bit of confusion "Are we going to Jesus' house for the party?" I said "no, we're not going to his house either." K said "Are we going to eat cake?" I said "yes, do you want to get some cupcakes for His party"? "Yeah!" she said excitedly. It was quiet in the car for a bit which is unusual when K is around. This gave me a moment to say a quick silent prayer for the right words to say to her. Then K asked me "mommy, where does Jesus live?" I replied "Jesus lives up in heaven." K asked me "where is heaven?" I said "I believe it is up in the sky." I glanced back at her as she looked out her window to the sky. I asked her "Can we see Jesus?" She said "no". I asked "can Jesus see us?". She said "no". I said "we can't see him but he CAN see us." I said "when we die we can go up to heaven and see Jesus." I asked her "does Jesus love you?" She said "yes". I said "Jesus loves you very much." As we pulled into the parking lot of the gym K said the sweetest words I have ever heard her say, "Mommy, I want to go see Jesus." I got a little teary eyed and said "I know, me too." K said "I want you to come and daddy to come and sissy to come too." It is hard to explain but in some ways I think she really gets it. Why do we make it so complicated as adults. Childlike faith: knowing Jesus lives in heaven (aka: up in the sky), we can't see Him but He can see us and He loves us very much and all K wants is to go see Him and have her family go too! Isn't that what we all really want for Christmas! Happy Birthday Jesus, Jesus we 'wuv' you!

No comments: